This past Saturday, May 21st, friends and members of CMPC of all ages gathered to package meals with Stop Hunger Now. Over the course of four hours, over 100 adults and 18 children measured ingredients, weighed bags, and packaged 20,000 meals to be shipped all over the world to children and families in need.
In addition to packaging meals, we were able to raise $515 for water filters, which will be used to buy seven portable filters. Each filter has a shelf life of 10 years and the ability to filter more than 100 gallons of water every day.
We were blessed to have a dedicated group of volunteers who helped set up, despite the rain!
Jennifer, Cindy, Nancy, Kylee, and Natalee were a huge help assembling boxes. Each box was filled with 216 meals!
We had a great group of volunteers this year! We had a lot of folks who had worked the event last year, but also visitors and those who brought friends, neighbors, grandparents, parents, children, grandchildren, boyfriends and girlfriends!
With five meal packing stations, we were able to package 5,000 meals an hour.
Each meal contained rice, vegetables, soy protein, and a pack of vitamins and minerals.
Working in teams of five, each ingredient was carefully measured before being added to the meal bag.
Once all the ingredients were added, the meal bags were weighed. This step ensures each meal contains enough food, and also helps the packages clear customs efficiently.
After each package was weighed, it was handed over to the next team to be sealed.
We had an energetic team of children who were eager to carry the meals from the sealing station to the packing station!
At the packing station, the meals were stacked and counted.
Once the meals were counted, they were packed into boxes and loaded onto the truck!
Our volunteers made many trip to the truck to load meals.
Each time we packaged 1,000 meals, one of our younger volunteers would ring a gong and all of the volunteers would cheer!
Thank you to all of our hardworking volunteers! Without you, we would not have been able to make such an impact on global hunger.
Special thanks to:
- Alex Hart, Stop Hunger Now event coordinator. SHN is very fortunate to have someone as organized, hard-working, passionate, and enthusiastic as Alex
- CMPC Mission Committee: For their support of our SHN event ($3,000 from their budget)
- Nursery workers: Allison Miller/Liz Perraud, Laura Holderman/Lauren Anderson
- Set-up crew: Tito Baca, the Pettits, the Walworths, Katie Foster and Matt Miller
- Christian Ed Chair: Liz Perraud
- Pastor Scott Hoffman – for whole-heartedly supporting and working this event
- Jennifer Seinfeld – for organizing such a wonderful volunteer opportunity!
For more information on Stop Hunger Now, please visit www.stophungernow.org.
For more pictures from our event, be sure to check out our Facebook page.